Many people like to oven fry fish because it can give you the crispy coating without all the oil used in deep frying. Oven frying is a method of cooking with a small amount of oil in a hot oven. You can either use oil to cover the bottom of a baking pan or use non stick cooking spray. Dipping the fish in an egg mixture helps the breading stick to the fish but make sure the fish is dry before dipping in egg. The coated fish is placed in the pan and cooked at a high temperature. Try to use fish thicker than ¼ inch. Pieces less than that tend to get done before the coating browns.
WHAT YOU NEED TO OVEN FRY FISH
Cooking oil, butter or cooking spray
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons milk
Salt and pepper
About 1 cup of breading
You can use things like crushed corn flakes, crushed Croutons, bread crumbs or corn meal. There is a lot of pre seasoned coatings in stores that work great also.
HOW TO OVEN FRY FISH,
1. Make enough of a mixture of ½ butter and ½ cooking oil to cover the bottom of a pan or baking dish about 1/8 inch deep. If not using the oil, butter mixture, spray the pan generously with cooking spray.
2. Place the pan in the oven and pre heat it to 500 degrees.
3. Prepare the breading for the fish and put it in a shallow bowl.
4. Beat 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons of milk.
5. Rinse the fish fillets in cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
6. Salt and pepper the fillets and coat them lightly with flour.
7. Dip the fillets in the beaten egg mixture.
8. Coat the fillets with your favorite breading.
9. Put the fish in the preheated pan and turn them over to coat both sides with oil. If you are using the Cooking spray put the fish in the pan and spray the top of the fish generously with the cooking spray.
10. Cook the fish until done.
APPROXIMATE COOKING TIMES TO OVEN FRY FISH
At these temperatures in a pre heated oven fish should cook for 10 minutes for every inch of thickness.
½ inch thick cook for 5 minutes
¾ inch thick cook for 7 ½ minutes
1 inch thick cook for 10 minutes
1 ½ inches thick cook for 15 minutes
Any piece thicker than ½ inch should be flipped over about ½ ways through cooking. These times are approximate; each oven is a little different. The fish should flake easily when done. A meat thermometer is always the best way to check. Fish is done when it reaches 145 degrees. When you oven fry fish, it is similar to deep fried fish without all the oil.